The Medical and Dental Council is a statutory which is responsible for securing in the public interest the highest level of training and practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana. A Practitioner (doctor) is a person registered under the Medical and Dental Council Decree (1972) NRCD 91 to practice medicine or dentistry in Ghana.
The Council shall be concerned with medical and dental practitioners (hereinafter referred to as “practitioners”) and shall be responsible for securing in the public interest the highest standards in the practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana.
The Council shall in particular:
- Ensure that courses of study and training in medicine or dentistry
at any medical school or University in Ghana are such as can sufficiently
guarantee possession of the knowledge and skill needed for the efficient
practice of medicine or dentistry;
- Prescribe standards of professional conduct;
- Uphold and enforce such standards by the disciplinary powers
conferred upon it by this Decree;
- Be responsible for the keeping of registers of duly qualified
An internationally acclaimed competent regulatory authority for medical and
dental practice in Ghana, for the public good.
To secure in the public interest, the highest standard of Medical and
Dental practice by: read more
- Ensuring the highest level of training of Medical and Dental
- Determining the adequacy & quality of service facilities
- Prescribing & enforcing the highest standards of professional
- Promoting the Cont. Med. Ed. of Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Protecting the rights of the patients/Clients
- In all these activities the MDC will work closely with other
regulatory bodies and professional associations in the health sector to
ensure the highest quality of health care delivery in Ghana.