The Medical and Dental Council is a statutory body established by law; Health Professions Regulatory Bodies Act, 2013 (Act 857).
Object of Council
To secure in the public interest the highest standards in the training and practice of medicine and dentistry.
Functions of the Council
- Assess facilities and contents of programmes for the training of doctors and dentists and physician assistants in training institutions;
- Ensure that the pre-registration training of newly qualified doctors and dentists and physician assistants in accredited training institutions meets the required standards;
- Conduct examinations for the registration of foreign trained medical and dental practitioners and physician assistants;
- Compile and keep registers of registered practitioners;
- Prescribe and enforce professional standards and conduct for practitioners;
- Conduct examinations for the registration of locally trained medical and dental practitioners and physician assistant who do not meet the prescribed conditions for registration; and
- Perform any other functions that are ancillary to the object of the Council.
Mandate of the Council
An Internationally acclaimed competent regulatory authority for medical and dental practice in Ghana, for the public good
“Guiding the Profession, Protecting the Public”